2010-08-09

Kindergarten Hug

Today was Kaitlyn's first day of Kindergarten. And, as the title suggests I needed a hug. My baby girl is growing up so fast! It seems like I blink and another year goes by. I can't stop crying, and I have to do it all over again tomorrow!

We got up this morning and she asked "Mom is it time for school yet?", nope not yet I say.



Then we eat breakfast, "is it time now?" Nope - not yet - but you can get dressed if you want! That was very cool for her - she's been waiting to get dressed for Kindergarten for a week now! Her outfit has been picked out for weeks! Time for lunch - but shes too excited to eat and only eats part of her watermelon, some gold fish crackers and only 3 bites of PBJ (which is unheard of!) "NOW is it time for school Mom?" No, not yet, but you can wash your hands and face and brush your teeth. FINALLY - it's time to go.


We get to the school and she was a little nervous I could tell. She was looking for someone she knew, but NONE of the kids from pre-school are in her class. I tell her that's okay, because she's going to make some new friends. That seemed to comfort her. The teachers arrive and start forming a line. She tells me she loves me at least a dozen times, (nervousness building) and they start walking in. She waves and walks away like she's done it hundreds of times!




Now - my tears are no longer welled up in my eyes but pouring down my cheeks. I think I'm the only Mom who cried - of course I didn't look around to check anyone else out. I blinked and it was time to pick her up. She was SO happy and excited to tell me everything, but mostly she "forgot". LOL She forgot her friends names, she forgot the teacher aid's name, and she forgot what she learned. She did remember the story "the kissing hand". Mrs. Birch sent home a few things for us parents - and of course I started crying all over again.


"It's my first day of school and "the kissing hand" is what we read. It's about a raccoon who did just as his parent said. Like the raccoon's first day at school I was scared and a little shy. But because of what you said I was brave and I got by. All through the year I'll make more things for you. So as I learn and as I grow you can see how much I love you, too!" The story came with a pair of hands that Kaitlyn traced and cut out all by her self.


So - I get a tissue and wipe my eyes. And continue to the 2nd page. "The fist day. I gave you a little wink and smile as you entered my room today. For I know hard it is to leave and know your child must stay. you've been with her for five years now and have been a loving guide, but now, alas, the time has come to leave her at my side. Just know that as you drive away and tears down your cheeks may flow I'll love her as I would my own and help her learn and grow. So please put your mind at ease and cry those tears no more for I will love her and taker her in when you leave her at my door."





Yep - got another tissue. Now I'm really crying all over again!


Okay - so I've had enough crying for one day, HOPEFULLY! :-)

Im sure this "letting go" thing will start getting easier; but for today - for right now, it's the hardest thing I've ever done.

No comments: